Previous         End History         Next

As with all Michigan communities, Port Huron was first inhabited by Native Americans. The Algonquins, Sauks, Potawatomies, Fox, Miamis, Ottawa and Chippewas were all settled along the banks of Lake Huron and the Black river prior to the first white explorers recorded their first visit in 1670. In 1686 the French built Fort Joseph, under the orders of Louis XV of France. Unfortunately the fort did not prosper and was later abandoned.

Area Tour
NOAA Charts
Points of Interest
Directory Services
Calendar of Events
Folk Lore

Contact Us
Back to Home